Thursday, July 17, 2008

No, not the 60s post yet, but.....

I feel compelled to have this rant!!!!

I have a problem with all religions but I have to say that this so-called world youth week is really pissing me off... how about calling it for what it is - catholic schoolies week!!!!

The vatican is virtually a country 'unto itself'... it has enough wealth to eradicate hunger and poverty world-wide - wouldn't it have helped more people if they put the money it cost to get the pope here into welfare programmes? I might be 'naive' but I'm pretty sure there are young people dying every day from starvation and preventable diseases!!!

And then there's the issue of sexual abuse amongst its priests - but what does the catholic church do... denies the evidence, pain and suffering of the victims and aids and abets its 'priests' in raping and psychologically abusing it's 'flock' by just moving them on to other parishes!!!! The "Black collar crime list of names" page on the Broken Rites website makes interesting reading.

When I was really radical in the 70s (out there 'pounding the footpath' as opposed to just verbally pissing people off with my politics now) one of the most crucial 'chants' of the Womyn's Liberation movement was...



well, that's still a mantra of mine - unfortunately we still don't have separation of church and state!!!

I can't believe that I fought so hard for so long and still live in a society where people believe in this patriarchal religious crap!!!!

But then, some people would say I'm fucked in the head!!!

My rant is over... here's Marianne with 'Working Class Hero" by John Lennon...

"Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV,
And you think you're so clever and classless and free,
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see."



No comments: