Tuesday, March 8, 2011

one hundred years...




yep, this is the 100th anniversary of international womyn's day... a celebration of gains, but sadly a commemoration also of the things that haven't yet changed, the inequality that still exists, the suffering, the exploitation, and the violence still perpetrated against womyn...







i'm not really ready to get right back into full on blogging just yet - but i couldn't let international womyn's day go by without any acknowledgement, and this is my forum for that!! if you're interested in a wee bit of australian iwd herstory you can find it here...








and this makes for interesting viewing...






3 comments:

Sailor Lily said...

I loved the article- particularly an account of how a ‘progressive woman’ was utterly shocked by the speech of Jean Devanny about womens rights to sexual pleasure…circa 1936…

The 'Oscar’s Law' flashmob video was awesome too- but where is that campaign up to now? have the puppy factories been abolished/criminalized?
I know I could look that up but I figure you'll know about it too.

Thanks for making a special ‘cameo appearance’ blog.
lily

proud womon said...

thanks lily... as with all fights, oscar's law is an ongoing campaign - and it takes angry people to sign petitions, write to politicians and get it into the public arena... there's an oscar's law facebook page for those who use that social networking forum - more 'flashmobs' are being planned i believe - wouldn't mind being part of that... there's merchandise to raise funds - i ordered my oscar's law t-shirt the other evening... fighting for justice is a slow process - sometimes uplifting, many times heartbreaking...

Positive Thoughts said...

I need followers. Please follow my blog. I would appreciate it